iTunes Podcast Subscribe Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/culture-vultures-podcast/id641892049
Alternate Title: "Crisco Wolverine Cherie Runaway Chainsaw Android Drunk Swimming"
- Tonight's Beverage: Water. (Sorry, boring, but we were on Skype tonight.)
- The Crisco Can of Detroit.
- Discussion of The Wolverine and the demands for nerd purity. (Dirk's review.)
- An epic, 85-minute-long interview - excerpts transcribed here and here - with Cherie Currie covering:
- Her last gigs in the Detroit area.
- The fate of her long-awaited album and her upcoming tour.
- Music from Live In Japan: "Queens of Noise" and "Cherry Bomb."
- The Runaways history; how fast they were signed; how they had to sue for royalties; and her feelings about Kim Fowley.
- Could the band have survived under other circumstances?
- More music: "You Drive Me Wild" and "American Nights."
- Artists influenced by The Runaways.
- The problem of bullying nowadays.
- Her favorite Runaways tune. (Not what you'd think or what you've heard.)
- The fluke of her name and its impact on fame.
- The obligatory discussion of what's holding up a Runaways reunion and the shocking reason why Lita Ford didn't participate in the movie.
- The differences between what was portrayed in the movie and reality.
- The reasons for her autobiography, Neon Angel, and its radical updating and re-release.
- Her thoughts on the documentary Edgeplay: A Film About The Runaways and her last day with the band.
- Why the Seventies were a better, more moral time. (Wait, what?!)
- Her recent movie and TV work and whether this means a return to acting.
- The reality of her trademark corset.
- Her upcoming show with Glenn Danzig at the Gibson (Universal) Amphitheater and its significance to her.
- Her interesting thoughts on singing contest shows like American Idol and The Voice.
- Plus an abbreviated version of the Deep Thoughts Music Quiz Game
- The back story of how the interview was conducted.
- Nerd Stuff: A quick mention of Android 4.3, the new Nexus 7 (Ars Technica review), and Google's Chromecast.
- Drunk guy swims the Detroit River.
Cherie Currie - 2013 - 53-years-old:
Not shabby at all!
UPDATE: Photos from the show!